Recapping the 2022 Business & Leadership Symposium
Michael R. Gagnon, MBA
Thank you to the 187 academic orthopaedic leaders — representing 76 university based musculoskeletal enterprises— who participated in our 2022 AOC Business and Leadership Symposium, November 10-12 in Austin, Texas.
Across 3 days, the energy and engagement were palpable watching the very best in our field reconnecting, sharing innovative ideas, and collaborating to shape a powerful future vision for the national academic orthopaedic community.
An all-star lineup of speakers and presenters
Our Keynote Speaker:
Regis J. O’Keefe, MD, PhD
Fred C. Reynolds Professor and Chair of Orthopaedic Surgery
Washington University School of Medicine
Our Distinguished Presenters:
- Scott D. Boden, MD, Professor and Chair, Department of Orthopaedics – Emory University School of Medicine; Vice President of Business Innovation – Emory Heatlhcare
- Kevin Bozic MD, MBA, Chair, Department of Surgery and Perioperative Care – Dell Medical School – The University of Texas at Austin
- Susan V. Bukata, MD, Professor and Chair of Orthopaedics – UC San Diego
- Steven Forti, RN, Chief Wellness and Resiliency Officer – Hospital for Special Surgery; US Army Special Forces, Master Sergeant (retired)
- Grant Garrigues, MD, Associate Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery Director, Upper Extremity Research Midwest Orthopaedics – Rush; Associate Chief Medical Officer, AOC Connect
- Farshid Guilak, PhD, Professor of Orthopedic Surgery and Director of Research, Shriners Hospitals for Children – St. Louis; Chief Scientific & Innovation Officer, AOC Connect
- L. Andrew Koman, MD, Professor and Chair, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Rehabilitation, Wake Forest School of Medicine, Executive Director; Musculoskeletal Service Line, Wake Forest Baptist Health
- L. Scott Levin, MD, Paul B. Magnuson Professor & Chair, Department of Orthopaedics, University of Pennsylvania Professor of Plastic Surgery in Surgery; Vice President and Associate Dean for Resource Development, University of Pennsylvania Co-Director, Penn Nerve Center; Chief Medical Officer – AOC
- Valerae O. Lewis, MD, Professor and Chair of the Department of Orthopaedic Oncology – University of Texas; MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston
- Mike West CEO Emeritus – Rothman Orthopaedic Institute
- 2022 AOC Conference: Managing the Growth of the Clinical Enterprise
- A Vital, Inclusive Health Ecosystem
- AOC’s Mission To Mitigate the Opioid Crisis
- Best Practice Approaches for Establishing and Growing Your Research Infrastructure – Farshid Guilak
- Best Practice Approaches for Establishing and Growing Your Research Infrastructure – Susan Bukata
- Cognitive FitnessAutonomic Down Regulation
- Culture- What Is It–Why Does Leadership Matter
- Digital Health Platforms Committee
- Discussion APP Comp, Staff Models, Imaging
- Division Chief and Vice Chair Roles: Why, How, How Long?
- Epic Ortho Steering Board Who We Are, Where We’ve Been, & Where We Are Going??!!
- Epic Users Forum
- Executive Leadership Roundup: The Evolving Musculoskeletal Landscape
- Implementing a Cash Pay Cold Therapy DME Program
- Leadership and the Power of Team
- Leadership During Stressful Times
- Medicom Health Assessments
- Meet the NATA: Health Care for Life and Sport
- Optimizing Marketing ROI To Drive Clinical Enterprise Growth
- Our Path Forward
- Perioperative Workflow Efficiency Models
- Provider Optimization
- Things To Consider When Your Department Feels Like Game of Thrones
- Transforming Culture Developing an Orthopaedic Department for the Future
- Use of Cold Compression Therapy in My Practice
Deep Appreciation To:
- Our AOC Connect Leadership Team and our Board of Advisors for their shared commitment to advancing our mission and vision.
- Our all-star line-up of Distinguished Presenters for their game-changing insights.
- Med-Tech Executives who came together with us to begin active conversation of how we can work together to improve efficiency, outcomes, and education.
- And to all the Departments that came as a TEAM— your participation took our 2022 Symposium to the next level!
- All that we do is made possible by the great support of our Corporate Partners whose expertise and financial support allow us to scale AOC value to 5,400+ members spanning 170 Universities and another 60 Health Systems. Thank you Breg, SocialClimb, Eruptr, and Quil!
How did attendees rate the Symposium?
- 100% indicate “I am HAPPY I attended the AOC Business & Leadership Symposium”.
- 93% indicate this meeting is the “best” or “among the best” of all meetings they attend for business and leadership.
- 91% rate the Agenda Topics “A” or “A-“
- 90% rate the Speakers “A” or “A-“
- 87% rate the Networking and Engagement Opportunities “A” or “A-“
- 94% rate the Value of the meeting (what you pay vs what you get) “A” or “A-“
- 95% rate the OVERALL MEETING “A” or “A-“
Areas we will improve for the 2023 Symposium
- Make all 3 days open to all position types and schedule more peer-to-peer engagement
- More Breakouts
- Longer Breaks
- Restructure Thursday Itinerary to create more of above so that connections and conversations continue throughout the Symposium
- Provide a Cocktail Reception that allows for networking, conversation, and connection
- More content around budgeting, research, and education
Once again, thank you to all who attended and made our 2022 Symposium an event that exceeded expectations. I’m incredibly energized by my experience there, and I’m eager to see important advances take shape in our national academic orthopaedic community.
SAVE THE DATE FOR NEXT YEAR’S SYMPOSIUM
Save the Date for the 2023 AOC Connect Business and Leadership Symposium to be held in Chicago at the Hyatt Centric Magnificent Mile from Thursday, October 12 through Saturday, October 14, 2023.
Want to be a Speaker or have a topic to suggest for 2023? Contact Michael@aoc-ortho.com.