Recapping the 2023 Business & Leadership Symposium
Michael R. Gagnon, MBA
Thank you to the 210 academic orthopaedic leaders — representing 65 university based musculoskeletal enterprises— who participated in our 2023 AOC Business and Leadership Symposium, October 12-14 in Chicago. It was extra special to host the Presidents of ORS, OREF, NATA, and the Past Presidents of AAOS, AOA, and all of the major Orthopaedic Societies…and the CEO of one of the largest health care systems in the U.S. at our Podium who delivered our highest rated talk on the inadequacies of the US News & World Report rankings. Tremendous media coverage heading into our Symposium in Orthopaedics Today added to the excitement.
Across 3 days, the energy and engagement were palpable watching the very best in our field reconnecting, sharing innovative ideas, and collaborating to shape a powerful future vision for the national academic orthopaedic community.
An all-star lineup of speakers and presenters
Our Distinguished Presenters:
L. Scott Levin, MD, Chair, University of Pennsylvania
William N. Levine, MD, Chair, Columbia University
Farshid Guilak, PhD, Professor of Orthopedic Surgery and Director of Research; Shriners Hospitals for Children – St. Louis ; Chief Scientific & Innovation Officer, AOC Connect
Grant Garrigues, MD, Associate Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery Director; Upper Extremity Research, Midwest Orthopaedics at Rush Associate Chief Medical Officer, AOC Connect
Steven Forti, RN, Vice President, Chief Wellness Officer, Hospital for Special Surgery, US Army Special Forces, Master Sergeant (retired)
Scott D. Boden, MD, Chair, Emory University
Rich Capra, Chief Administrative Officer-Emeritus, UCSF Orthopaedics; President, AOC Connect
John Bonini, Director, Clinical Operations, Duke Orthopaedics; Senior Vice President, AOC Connect
Felix H Savoie MD FAAOS; FAOA, Ray Haddad Professor and Chair, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Tulane University, 90th Past President, AAOS
Sandy Emery, MD, Chair, West Virginia
Terance Peabody, MD, Chair, Northwestern University
Alfonso Meija, MD, Vice Chair, University of Illinois, Chicago
Anthony Romeo, MD, Executive Vice President, Musculoskeletal Institute, Duly Health & Care
Michael Archdeacon, MD, Chair, University of Cincinnati
Lisa Lattanza, MD, Chair, Yale University
Mark Gonzalez MD, Chair, University of Illinois, Chicago
Joshua Jacobs, MD, Chair, Rush University Medical Center
- The Athletic Training Workforce and Academic Orthopedic Programs
- The Business of Orthopaedic Research
- Clinic Operations Transformation
- Epic Users Group Forum Annual Symposium 2023
- Executive Leadership Roundup across MedTech and Beyond
- The Evolution of (to) the ASC
- Faculty Morale Job Satisfaction
- Funds Flow and Compensation Plans
- Funds Flow in Academic Orthopedic Surgery
- The Healthcare Marketing Platform
- It’s All About Funds Flow
- OREF: Your Organization
- Orthopaedic Funds Flow and Sustainability
- Orthopedics Measurement
- Orthopaedic Research Society – AOC Connect
- PANEL: DME Strategies to Improve Patient Care & Solidify Margin
- Terminology Matters Moral Injury Not Burnout?
- Three Most Important Businesss Decisions I Made as a Chair and One Decision I Wish I Hadn’t Made
- University of Rochester Musculoskeletal Service Line Development
- Update on AOC to Help Mitigate Opioid Footprint
- Words of Wisdom?
Deep Appreciation To:
- Thank you to our very gracious/generous hosts in Chicago… Northwestern, Midwest Rush, U. Chicago, and UIC
- Our AOC Connect Leadership Team and our Board of Advisors for their shared commitment to advancing our mission and vision, and especially to the following leaders who went above and beyond to help us organize and deliver upon what you/we experienced in 2023: Richard Capra, John Bonini, Megann Gagnon, Farsh Guilak, PhD, Grant Garrigues, MD, Scott Boden, MD, Bill Levine, MD, Ron Faulbaum, Scott Levin, MD, Mitch Harris, MD, Blair Faber, Angie Scala, Anthony Romeo, MD, Kristine Houck, Leesa Galatz, MD, Erin Clark, Greg Chang, Claire Howell, and Patrick Duffey.
- Our all-star line-up of Distinguished Presenters for their game-changing insights.
- And to all the Departments that came as a TEAM— your participation took our 2023 Symposium to the next level!
- All that we do is made possible by the great support of our Corporate Partners whose expertise and financial support allow us to scale AOC value to 5,400+ members spanning 170 Universities and another 60 Health Systems. Thank you Breg, Pacira, DePuy Synthes, Unlock Health, SocialClimb, Think Surgical, and Zimmer Biomet!
How did attendees rate the Symposium?
This year was our BIGGEST and our BEST with 100% indicating “I am happy I attended” and 98% giving the Symposium an overall final grade of “A” or “A-”!
- 100% indicate “I am HAPPY I attended the AOC Business & Leadership Symposium
- 96% indicate this meeting is the “best” or “among the best” of all meetings they attend for business and leadership.
- 90% rate the Agenda Topics “A” or “A-“
- 97% rate the Speakers “A” or “A-“
- 87% rate the Networking and Engagement Opportunities “A” or “A-“
- 98% rate the OVERALL MEETING “A” or “A-“
SAVE THE DATE FOR NEXT YEAR’S SYMPOSIUM
Save the Date for the 2024 AOC Connect Business and Leadership Symposium to be held in Nashville at the Nashville Marriott at Vanderbilt University from Thursday, September 26 through Saturday, September 28, 2024.
Want to be a Speaker or have a topic to suggest for 2024? Contact Michael@aoc-ortho.com.